Tuesday, June 4, 2013

The Master

I had an evening at home with the kids so I decided to watch a movie with them and put together the BMS master board.  

So, master board, what what's a typical day look like for you?  
Well, I take the battery info and give it to the charger and driver.
So you physically take the battery info and give it to the charger?
Well, no, I have cables that do that for me.
So, what is it that you actually do do?
I've got lots of IO's!  I know how to talk with an LCD!  I've got processing power, can't you understand that?  What the hell is wrong with you people?!


In other news, I finished top charging all the batteries, so now the total pack voltage is around 246 volts.  Time to take it for a spin!


There's a 35 mph zone in the neighborhood, so that's my first stop.  One mile up and back and I've got the need, the need for speed.  Out on the open road (well, Gilbert road at any rate) I do a 2.5 mile loop, max out at 50 mph and return home for a total of around 4 miles!  Now's a good chance to see if any of those connections are a little loose, which you can do by touching each one to see if it's hot (with your other hand in your pocket to avoid a deadly shock of course).  Everything seems in order.  The laptop battery wasn't cooperating, so no data from the controller.

The next day I can't help but boost the current to the motor.  Previously I'd had the motor current set to a value of 3, which corresponds to 3 / 8 x 500 x 5 / 3 = 312.5 amps of course.  This time around I toggle it up to 4, or 416.7 amps max to the motor.  The battery limit is still set to a value of 100, which anyone knows corresponds to 166.7 amps, right?  I take a spin around a 4 mile block and check the stats.  Controller temp has reached 102 °F (39 °C), both the motor and battery currents maxed out, I consumed an approximate 1 kWh, and I've got a huge grin on my face!  The battery current limit is actually limiting me to around 55 Hp, so I'll have to bump that up next time around.  Booya!

1 comment:

  1. Yeaaaaah, I'm going to have to ask you to box up all these wiring components and just move them down to the basement. That'd be great.

    ReplyDelete