Tuesday, March 27, 2012

New Seats

There comes a point in every car's life when the seats get a little worn down.  That point had well been reached long ago for my porsche...
I drilled the first holes in the Porsche over the weekend and started adding new seats.  I picked up a pair of racing seats from summit racing and they fit really well and look great!

 
I also started working on the back seats.  They're essentially a vinyl sheet that's glued to a piece of molded foam that is glued into the back.  It was essentially peeling up all around the sides and I didn't think it would glue back down so I made some sheet metal brackets to cinch it down.  Here's what the seat looked like when I got it.

 Here I've peeled it out and cleaned the sheet metal up a bit.

And here are the brackets I made.
 Back in place and now you can see the brackets clipped to the underside of the seat.  I screwed those into the sheet metal to tighten it down, and you can see the final result below.  I still have some work to do on that center section, but it's looking a lot better. 

 Next step for the back seats are some seat belts.  The problem I'm having there is finding belts with very short ends.  Normally they attach somewhere near the floor and extend up around the seat.  Here, they mount slightly higher than the top of the cushion (you can see a little hole in the carpet where they bolt on), so I need to find some that are only about 6 inches long.

No comments:

Post a Comment